Lexington, KY – April 11, 2016 – Just 20 days remain until the close of the U.S. Olympic qualifying period, and Laura Graves still stands strong atop the ranking list. Graves’ high scores with Verdades during the Stillpoint Farm Nations Cup CDIO3* March 29-April 3 solidified her lead with an average of 77 percent.
Peters continues to sit in second and third with Rosamunde and Legolas 92, respectively. Kasey Perry remains in fourth after a big move up the charts at the end of February with Goerklintgaards Dublet. Ali Brock, who hit her stride with Rosevelt in March toward the end of the Adequan Global Dressage Festival, is in fifth place with a slight edge over Shelly Francis, who fills the next two slots with Doktor and Danilo. Tuny Page completes the top eight with Woodstock.
According to USEF’s selection procedures for the Olympic team, approximately eight athlete/horse combinations who have completed at least two tryout events/qualifying competitions will be chosen to compete as part of a U.S. squad at European observation events. That decision is based in part on test scores and ranking from qualifying competitions, and also takes into account consistency of scores over 73 percent, previous international experience, potential to contribute to a medal winning team, and the behavior of the athlete and those associated with him/her.
The final team of four athlete/horse combinations and one reserve combination will be submitted by July 1, 2016, the closing date for U.S. Olympic Committee final entries.
The top 10 combinations on the ranking list are below with their average scores to date, and the full list is available here.
Ranking List for the 2016 Olympic Games – U.S. Dressage Selection
1. Laura Graves and Verdades, owned by the rider – 77.000
2. Steffen Peters and Rosamunde, owned by Four Winds Farm – 75.701
3. Steffen Peters and Legolas 92, owned by Four Winds Farm – 74.669
4. Kasey Perry and Goerklintgaards Dublet, owned by Diane Perry – 73.215
5. Allison Brock and Rosevelt, owned by Fritz and Claudine Kundrun – 72.873
6. Shelly Francis and Doktor, owned by Patricia Stempel – 72.782
7. Shelly Francis and Danilo, owned by Patricia Stempel – 72.255
8. Arlene “Tuny” Page and Woodstock, owned by the rider – 71.584
9. Lisa Wilcox and Galant, owned by Jacqueline Shear – 70.565
10. Guenter Seidel and Zero Gravity, owned by James and Charlotte Mashburn – 70.531