Aachen, Germany – July 18, 2018 – Germany’s Isabell Werth and her team world champion, the 14-year-old Westphalian mare Bella Rose, competed at the CHIO Aachen the last time four years ago. To be precise, she has not seen a showground at all for three and a half years due to injury, but she recently competed for the first time in Austria four weeks ago. In the HAVENS Pferdefutter Prize CDI*4 Grand Prix on Wednesday, July 18, the pair celebrated their return to the show ring with a win after earning a score of 77.587 percent.
The test wasn’t completely free of mistakes yet, but Werth beamed nevertheless and took responsibility for the mistakes.
“I am simply happy!” Werth said. “The mare never wants to do anything wrong! And we have to channel her temperament a little more efficiently.”
The situation is similar for second place finisher, Dorothee Schneider and Showtime who earned a 75.652 percent despite a few mistakes. The Hanoverian-bred Sandro Hit son, with whom Schneider took team gold in 2016 at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, last competed in Munich in November 2017.
“Yes, he was very switched on,” laughed Schneider. “It was quite courageous to ride in Aachen as our first competition, but I am totally satisfied!”
The German national coach, Monica Theodorescu explained, “I find it great how Bella Rose and Showtime are performing and I am happy that they are back again. Sure, they made a few mistakes. But that is down to the lack of condition and competition routine.”
Werth and Schneider were joined by fellow German riders, Jessica von Bredow-Werndl and Zaire-E with a score of 72.609 percent in third place and Fabienne Müller-Lütkemeier finishing fourth with Fabregaz on a score of 71.935 percent.
The prize-giving ceremony of the Grand Prix was the last on the CHIO 2018 Wednesday. The CDI4* Grand Prix Special will take place on Friday.
Results: CDI4* Grand Prix
Rider / Country / Horse / Total Score
1. Isabell Werth / GER / Bella Rose / 77.587
2. Dorothee Schneider / GER / Showtime / 75.652
3. Jessica von Bredow-Werndl / GER / Zaire E / 72.609
4. Fabienne Müller-Lütkemeier / GER / Fabregaz / 71.935
5. Steffen Peters / USA / Suppenkasper / 71.870
6. Olivia Lagoy-Weltz / USA / Rassing’s Lonoir / 71.870
7. Benjamin Werndl / GER / Daily Mirror / 71.717
8. Ingrid Klimke / GER / Franziskus / 71.609
9. Anabel Balkenhol / GER / Heuberger / 71.283
10. Victoria Valentin / DEN / Ludwig der Sonnekonig / 71.043
11. Betina Jæger / DEN / Belstaff / 70.457
12. Danielle Heijkoop / HLL / Badari / 70.261