Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro
Hartpury, England – July 11, 2016 – Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro wowed both the judges and a sell-out crowd with their musical freestyle Saturday night at the Hartpury Festival of Dressage. Dujardin and Valegro were the last pair to compete, keeping the packed house of spectators in suspense.
The wait was well worth it. The pair, who hold the world record freestyle score of 94.3 percent, received a score of 90.625 percent to win the class by a huge margin. Dujardin debuted the new freestyle which she will ride at the upcoming Rio Olympic Games.
The music, arranged by Tom Hunt, had a Latin Carnival flair that will suit well in Rio. Valegro appears in good form and fitter than ever. They produced an excellent test and look like they are ready to defend their Olympic gold medals.
Second place went to Henriette Anderson and Warlocks Charm with a score of 73.875 percent, while third place went to Roland Tong and Rybrook Ambience with a score of 73.325 percent.
In a post to fans on her Facebook page, Dujardin noted Valegro was “fresh, happy and fitter than ever” and “enjoyed every minute of being back in the arena in front of the crowd.”
She added, “I don’t think I could love this horse any more than I do. The freestyle was a great confidence boost and I love the new music.”
Results: Hartpury CDI3* Grand Prix Freestyle
1. Charlotte Dujardin/ VALEGRO /90.625
2. Henriette Anderson / WARLOCKS CHARM / 73.875
3. Roland Tong / RYBROOK AMBIENCE / 73.325
4. Stephanie Croxford / MR HYDE / 71.825
5. Jacqueline Wing Ying Siu / FERRERA / 71.400
6. Daniel Watson / AMADEUS / 70.525
7. Caroline Chew / TRIBIANI / 69.725
8. Clara Espinosa / GORDON / 68.850
9. Keith Robertson / BOHEME AF SULSTED / 68.275
10. Beverley Brightman / WALKMAN BC / 67.975